Sunday, 29 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Warning after overloaded plug extension led to house fire

A man was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation after a house fire.

An overloaded plug extension has been identified as the cause of the blaze, which “severely damaged” a conservatory and kitchen.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a thermal imaging camera as they tackled the fire in Annan.

Two fire engines were at the scene, on Greenlea Road, for about two hours on Wednesday evening.

The fire has prompted a seasonal safety warning from Dumfries and Galloway Fire Service as people switch on Christmas lights in their homes and businesses.

Watch manager Jason Gardiner said: “Never be tempted to overload sockets. Ensure only a maximum of 13 amps per socket and never plug one extension lead into another. This will overload the supply and risk starting a fire.

“If you are using an extension lead on a roll, make sure it is completed unrolled before using it. Make sure all Christmas lights are turned off and unplugged before leaving the house or going to bed, and make sure bulbs are not in contact with paper, fabrics or anything that burns easily.”


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: