Wagon trailer hanging over motorway bridge near Carlisle
Last updated at 08:36, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Police closed part of the M6 motorway yesterday (Tuesday) near Carlisle because a HGV trailer was hanging over a bridge.
The refrigerated vehicle carrying about 10 tonnes of food was in a "precarious position" on Calthwaite bridge.
Two lanes of the M6 northbound, between junctions 41 and 42, were closed for a number of hours. That closure was then reduced to just one lane.
The road from the A6 at Thiefside to Calthwaite village was also closed.
An air ambulance was called to check on the driver, who was taken to Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle.
The HGV was recovered and the motorway fully reopened at about 5pm.
Police are investigating how the incident occurred and want to speak to witnesses.
Anyone who saw the accident or has information about it, should call Sergeant Graeme Hodgson or any officer from north Cumbria’s Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The incident happened at about 8.30am.
First published at 09:37, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|