Vulcan bomber flypast at Stobart Fest
Last updated at 09:25, Friday, 08 August 2014
Fifteen thousand people are expected to flock to Carlisle Airport this weekend for the fourth Stobart Fest.
Star drivers from the haulage firm will be among the main attractions tomorrow and Sunday, but one of the highlights is expected to be a fly-past by the world’s last remaining Vulcan bomber in flight.
The XH558 Spirit of Great Britain is due to fly above the airfield on Sunday at about 2.50pm.
The Stobart Group has an affinity with the Vulcan as the company owns Carlisle and Southend Airports where two other Vulcans are kept.
On the ground, an estimated 30 trucks, trailers and other vehicles from Stobart’s road, rail and air fleets will be parked up for Eddie spotters to see. Many will be performing demonstrations.
Drivers who will be meeting fans over the weekend include Mark Dixon and Welshman Ashley Maddocks. They will be joined by chief executive Andrew Tinkler’s son Adam who drives a biomass truck.
Stobart driver Tim Stead, of Silloth, who illustrates cartoons in the firm’s Steady Eddie fanzine will also be leading workshops.
Fans from across the world are expected to join the crowds at Carlisle Airport.
Two new trucks will be wrapped in the famous Stobart livery during live demonstrations and there will be competitions to win the chance to name them.
The event is free with parking costing £2 per car in aid of CFM’s Cash for Kids appeal.
Stobart Fest will be open from 10am until 4pm both days.
First published at 09:24, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)