Two weeks of hold ups on Carlisle's roads
Published at 11:42, Monday, 16 September 2013
Carlisle is facing two weeks of hold-ups on some of the city’s key routes while a series of road upgrades get underway today.
Cumbria County Council is investing more than £250,000 in a programme of improvements.
Work will start today and involves reconstruction work to replace worn-out sections of road.
Wayne Casey, from the Carlisle Taxi Owners’ Association, added: “It’s going to be a pain but it’s necessary. The roads involved are particularly bad and I’d rather they were smooth than full of holes.”
The work is to take place mostly at night and the weekend to minimise disruption to road users. Diversions will be in place. The scheduled work includes:
- Victoria Viaduct: work tonight and tomorrow, from 7pm to 6am. The viaduct will be one-way;
- West Tower Street and Drovers Lane: works at night on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday;
- Warwick Road, from Victoria Place to Hartington Place: work over two consecutive weekends of September 21 and 22 and 28 and 29. The road will be one-way outbound;
- Parkhouse Road, from Kingstown Broadway to Kingstown Road: work will be at night on September 23 and 24, 7pm-6am;
- London Road on September 26, 27 and 29, between 9.30am-3.30pm.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|