Tribute to Labour Party stalwart Hugh Little
Last updated at 12:50, Monday, 25 February 2013
Labour politician Hugh Little has died. The former mayor, war veteran and ex-leader of both Carlisle City and Cumbria County councils passed away at Eden Valley Hospice yesterday.
A lifelong Labour Party member, Mr Little began his political career in 1959 and retired in 1989, after serving for a year as chairman of Cumbria council.
Mr Little, who was in his late 80s, and his sister Mary Styth are the only brother and sister to have been mayors of Carlisle.
He was awarded the OBE and given the freedom of the city in honour of his services to local government. In 1987 he was honoured with a street named after him – Hugh Little Garth in Upperby
The 30 years of dedication were decades well spent according to Mr Little, who had said: “I loved it.”
Paying tribute to him, Labour party activist Kevin Parker said: “Every now and again a city produces a real giant, someone who is the absolute best in their vocation or chosen profession. Carlisle’s giant was Hughie Little.
“Hughie’s talent, commitment and leadership in local government have not been seen before or since.
“He was a great ambassador but it came easy to him because he was so proud of his home city and its people.”
He added: “You’d need a million words to sum up how great a man Hughie was, but ‘Labour giant’ would be a very good start.”
First published at 12:49, Monday, 25 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)