X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 28 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Three on trial for stabbing man to death in Carlisle

A Polish factory worker who was stabbed to death outside his Carlisle home had previously spoken of problems with a group of men, a murder trial was told.

Piotr Kulinski photo
Piotr Kulinski

Piotr Kulinski, 32, had also come home with what appeared to be stab marks on his back two weeks before he lost his life.

Carlisle Crown Court was told that on the day of his death, on October 14 last year, his partner was woken by noise outside their home in Arnside Road, Harraby.

She saw him lying on the ground with two men apparently hitting him.

They ran off and Mr Kulinski, who worked at the city’s Cavaghan & Gray factory and had a young son, was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary. He died from stab wounds.

Three people have gone on trial at the crown court accused of the murder of Mr Kulinski while two others are also in the dock in connection with the case.

Piotr Zygner, 30, Paulina Mucha, 26, and Sylwester Kawalec, 23, all of Currock Road, Currock, Carlisle, deny murder.

Zygner and Kawalec also deny conspiring to pervert the course of justice, while Mucha has admitted this offence.

Artur Skoczen, 30, of Ashman Close, Denton Holme, Carlisle, and Artur Woszczyna, 44, of Beverley Rise, Harraby, Carlisle, deny conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Brian Cummings QC, prosecuting, said Mr Kulinski was due to start a shift at 6am and sometime before this his partner, Katarzyna Plominska, heard him get up.

She did not hear him leave the house but heard what she said was “an awful noise”.

“She looked out of the window and could see her partner lying on the ground,” said Mr Cummings.

“Two men were standing by him and they appeared to her to be hitting him.”

He said the prosecution alleged this was Zygner and Kawalec.

“She shouted to them in Polish to leave him alone. It looked to her they struck him another couple of times and then ran off,” added Mr Cummings.

“She ran outside and tried to move him off the road. His eyes were closed and he made a gasping noise.”

He was taken to hospital but “despite all efforts to resuscitate him his life could not be saved”.

Police investigations revealed he had spoken repeatedly of trouble he had been having with two men.

Mr Cummings added: “On September 29 Mr Kulinski had come home with blood on his shirt.

“His partner saw what appeared to be stab marks on his back.”

He phoned police the next day and said he had been having problems with a group of Polish men and was afraid for himself and his family.

After his death, a post mortem examination revealed seven fresh stab wounds and a number of healing wounds.

He had been stabbed in the back three times, twice in the buttock and twice in the leg.

Police investigations led officers to the home of Skoczen in Ashman Close, Denton Holme, and arrests were made there and in Harraby.

Mr Cummings said there had been a house party at Ashman Close the night before the stabbing.

Zygner, Mucha and Kawalec all went, said Mr Cummings, and CCTV footage from a shop they went to showed them wearing different clothes to when they were arrested.

Mr Cummings told the court these three and another person left the house at about 5.40am the next morning.

Further investigations led to the discovery of clothes, dumped in bags at St Bees in west Cumbria.

The court heard blood stains matched the DNA profile of the victim and DNA also linked them to Zygner and Kawalec.

Mr Cummings told the jury of five men and seven women: “The prosecution allege Mr Kulinski was attacked by two men and we allege these two men were Zygner and Kawalec.

“We allege that these two men escaped from the scene in a vehicle driven by Paulina Mucha.”

He said it was also alleged these three joined forces with the others “to try to prevent the police from solving the crime and particularly by disposing of evidence”.

The trial, which is expected to last up to six weeks, continues.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Are Cumbria's parks and open spaces something to be proud of?

Yes

No

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: