Tax bosses admit Cumbrian woman's £22,000 bill a mistake
Last updated at 12:26, Monday, 24 February 2014
A woman ordered to pay £22,000 in outstanding tax has had the demand cancelled, after revenue bosses admitted it was a mistake.
Marian Anderson, of Peel Street, Carlisle, was distressed after receiving a letter from HMRC informing her that the staggering amount had been overpaid in working tax credit.
She contacted Carlisle MP John Stevenson, who immediately spoke to revenue and customs to demand an explanation.
HMRC responded to the MP’s request, apologising for the problems that Ms Anderson had experienced in her dealings with them.
The letter stated: “It is clear we have not handled her tax credits claim as well as we should have, and that we have failed to provide the level of service which she is entitled to.”
It also confirmed the outstanding overpayment being shown on her account was incorrect, and they have removed it from her record.
Mr Stevenson said: “Ms Anderson was understandably shocked and worried as the amount of money concerned was considerable.
“Although the mistake by HMRC should not have occurred in the first place, I am pleased I was able to rectify the issue for Ms Anderson.”
Ms Anderson added: “I could not understand how HMRC had come to the conclusion that I owed any money, especially an amount that large.
“It is a relief that this issue has been rectified and HMRC have admitted that the error was theirs.”
First published at 12:02, Monday, 24 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years