Sex offender caught after trying to meet girl he befriended online
Published at 10:35, Saturday, 12 July 2014
A CUMBRIAN sex offender was caught after trying to meet a 13-year-old girl he had befriended online.
John Wilson, 60, thought he was chatting up a teenage girl in Whitehaven – but it was in fact an undercover police officer.
Police said he would “highly sexualise the conversations and instigate sexual scenarios”.
He was arrested as a result of the proactive policing operation and charged with an offence of attempting to incite a child under 16 years to engage in sexual activity and attempting to engage in sexual activity in the presence of a child.
Wilson, of Bollam Terrace, Kirkby Stephen, was given a three-year community order, a three-year supervision order, and an indefinite Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) at Carlisle Crown Court.
Speaking after the sentence, Detective Inspector Roy Ledingham said: “These operations are conducted to ensure that young children who use social media remain safe.
“His arrest and sentence should send a strong message out to others that we are watching them, and we will target them with a view to putting them in front of the courts with the assistance of other partner agencies. The Crown Prosecution Service have played an integral role in ensuring a successful conviction.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)