Sex offender caught after trying to meet girl he befriended online
Published at 10:35, Saturday, 12 July 2014
A CUMBRIAN sex offender was caught after trying to meet a 13-year-old girl he had befriended online.
John Wilson, 60, thought he was chatting up a teenage girl in Whitehaven – but it was in fact an undercover police officer.
Police said he would “highly sexualise the conversations and instigate sexual scenarios”.
He was arrested as a result of the proactive policing operation and charged with an offence of attempting to incite a child under 16 years to engage in sexual activity and attempting to engage in sexual activity in the presence of a child.
Wilson, of Bollam Terrace, Kirkby Stephen, was given a three-year community order, a three-year supervision order, and an indefinite Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) at Carlisle Crown Court.
Speaking after the sentence, Detective Inspector Roy Ledingham said: “These operations are conducted to ensure that young children who use social media remain safe.
“His arrest and sentence should send a strong message out to others that we are watching them, and we will target them with a view to putting them in front of the courts with the assistance of other partner agencies. The Crown Prosecution Service have played an integral role in ensuring a successful conviction.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|