Seven years for man found carrying quarter ounce of heroin
Published at 14:25, Thursday, 14 February 2013
A man found carrying just over a quarter of an ounce of heroin has been jailed for seven years.
Steven Leon Dala, aged 46, was found with the illegal drug during a police search of the house he was living in at Maryport. The 7.7 grams had a street value of £770.
Dala, originally from Liverpool, was found guilty at Carlisle Crown Court of possession with intent to supply.
The court was told police searched the house on January 25 last year after receiving a tip-off.
DC Andrew Myers, who led the investigation, said they were "really pleased" with the sentence.
And he added: "We have to give thanks to the community because it was the information that they supplied which enabled us to obtain a warrant and search the property.
“This case highlights the importance of receiving information from local people, they know what is happening in their community and can identify anything that is out of the ordinary or suspicious.
“We will continue to tackle the issue of drugs in our local communities and the sentence imposed on Dala highlights how drugs are not tolerated by the community, the police or the courts.”
Anyone with information or concerns about drug use should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (19 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (28 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (35 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Time running out to enter CN Group Business Awards
- New people wanted for Cumbria's LEP board
- Carlisle's Bendalls Engineering clinches big Sellafield contracts
- US billionaire buys north Cumbrian brewery
- Travelodge chain identifies Keswick for new hotel
- Accountancy giant Baker Tilly takes over Cumbrian consultancy
- Number of insolvencies down in Cumbria last year
- Cumbrian print firm's poster goes viral - but fails to attract trainees
- Ex-MP Martlew says Nestle blocked pension trustee role
- National award for Carlisle apprentice
- Houses without water in Carlisle
- Brave Carlisle security man reunited with dog he saved from fire
- Whitehaven Gymnastics Club's Four Day Camp
- Commissioner: We are offering greater support to Cumbria's crime victims
- Cumbria's under-fire children's department faces critical six months
- Cumbrian town to lose its final bank
- Carlisle judge sees 36 in court on insurance scam charges
- Duck shot in west Cumbria
- Family unhurt after car explodes into flames on busy street
- Cumbria police arrest teenagers after alleged robbery