Santas on the run deliver cash boost for Cumbrian children's hospice
Last updated at 12:33, Monday, 03 December 2012
Around 170 Santa Clauses came to town as fundraisers dressed up as Father Christmas in a festive dash for charity.
Adults, children and even dogs braved the cold and ice and donned Santa’s iconic red and white suit to run around Carlisle city centre on a frosty winter morning.
The ‘Santas on the Run’ event is held to raise money for Eden House Children’s Hospice, which is part of Eden Valley Hospice.
All those taking part gathered in the grounds of Carlisle Castle and warmed themselves up ahead of a 3 kilometre run that took in places including Bitts Park and Castle Street.
Katrina Sander, fundraising manager for community and events at Eden Valley Hospice, said of the Santas: “I think they are absolutely fantastic.
“They are very brave on an icy Sunday morning when they’d perhaps rather be tucked up in the warm.
“Event like this are really important. We couldn’t do without the community raising money for us.”
Lyn Horsfield was among a group of school workers and friends including staff from Upperby Primary School and James Rennie School in Carlisle.
She said: “I’ve got plenty of layers on under this suit. We’re doing this to raise some money for a good cause and it’s a bit of fun as well.”
Those taking part received a medal at the finishing line at Carlisle Castle, and there were prizes for children. There was also mulled wine and mince pies for those who fancied a festive treat to warm up.
First published at 12:26, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)