Rare black goldendoodle pups among Carlisle litter
Last updated at 12:09, Thursday, 24 July 2014
They're one of the growing number of dogs which have resulted from mixing poodles with other breeds...
But for this litter of nine week-old goldendoodles – a mixture of golden retriever and labradoodle – life is as laid back as it gets.
They are spending their days finding quiet and shady places to lie down in and stay cool as the summer heatwave continues, explains their owner Andrea Fisher, 68, who lives at Cumwhinton, a few miles south east of Carlisle.
“Their mum was a dog called Serendipity, a third or fourth generation labradoodle, and a golden retriever called Kikijaxs, which is a working dog owned by a man in his 70s.
“They have a wonderful temperament, and they’re very trainable and wonderful with children.
“The breed has been on the go a long time but I’ve never seen a black goldendoodle before and there were five black ones in the litter. It’s quite rare, and it may never happen again.”
But in sunny weather black is perhaps not the ideal colour to be, so this particular batch of golden doodles has become adept at finding shady places – mostly under bushes – in Andrea’s sunny garden.
Other well known poodle cross breeds include the labradoodle (Labrador and poodle); the jackadoodle (with a Jack Russell), the froodle (with a toy fox terrier), the foxhoodle (with a foxhound), mastidoodle (with a mastiff), and the pugagoo (with a pug).
Experts say the fascination with poodle-mix breeds stems partly from the intelligence of poodles, and them having coats which do not shed.
First published at 11:38, Thursday, 24 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|