Plans could bring 36 new homes to west Cumbrian town
Last updated at 12:38, Monday, 28 January 2013
Plans for a housing boost in Whitehaven will be discussed this week when councillors consider three different applications.
The plans could see 36 new homes for the coastal town – including one on the marina, one on the site of a disused social club and one on the site of a former care home.
Home Group wants to build 27 new bungalows for the over-55s at two areas in Mirehouse.
Plans for the Calder Club site include 17 homes and the demolition of the former club, bungalow and Scout hut. A further 10 homes may also be built on the former Pow Beck Court site behind the Pow Beck House.
Vicky Hannah, Home Group project manager, said: “If we get the go-ahead the new homes will help revitalise the area and provide social housing for older people. We’ve been working closely with the local Scout group for a long time and are committed to helping them find a new Scout hut.”
The third application includes nine harbourside apartments at Whitehaven’s former YWCA building.
The apartments would have views of Whitehaven Marina.
Much of the existing building would be demolished under the new proposals submitted on behalf of Dobies Properties Ltd.
The north-east gable wall fronting on to New Lowther Street, would be retained; the rest being of new construction with balconies facing on to the harbour.
Of the nine apartments three would have three bedrooms, five would have two, and one would be a one-bedroomed flat.
Members of Copeland council’s planning panel have already made a site visit to the location, which lies within the town centre Conservation Area, before considering their decision.
The meeting will take place in Whitehaven on Wednesday.
First published at 12:31, Monday, 28 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)