Passenger racially abused Carlisle taxi driver
Published at 11:30, Wednesday, 20 August 2014
A taxi passenger has been fined £395 after he admitted racially abusing his driver during a journey.
At Carlisle Magistrates’ Court, Gary Robert Burns, 44, admitted a single charge of the racially aggravated harassment of his victim.
Prosecutor John Moran described how Burns had got into the taxi on the night of July 26 and told the driver where he wanted to go.
But during the journey the defendant became annoyed, saying that the route being taken was not his usual one.
He then began verbally abusing the driver, making racist remarks, Mr Moran told the court.
Once at his destination, Burns refused to get out of the taxi and demanded to know from the driver “where he came from”.
When the driver told him he was from originally from “Bangladesh” and had lived in the the country for the last 28 years, Burns shouted an insult and racist comments.
Burns also remarked that his victim had lived in the UK Too for him to return to his native country.
Burns of Corporation Road, Carlisle, handed magistrates a letter written but the contents were not read out.
He said he did not believe his comments had been racist and had been wrongly interpreted – despite entering a guilty plea to the racially aggravated offence.
Magistrates told Burns that he had to understand why his actions appeared racist, and that the taxi driver had simply been doing his job and should not have been treated as he was on that night.
As well as the fine, Burns was told to pay £85 court costs and a victim surcharge of £39.
After the hearing, Burns was asked outside of court if he would like to explain his behaviour and his only response was to claim that he is not a racist.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)