Olympic Games mascot Wenlock drops in on Carlisle primary school
Last updated at 11:57, Tuesday, 22 May 2012
Olympic mascot Wenlock came to Carlisle to see school children ahead of the Games torch relay.
The visit, to Norman Street Primary School, Carlisle, was the first stop off on the mascot’s flag relay around Cumbria.
Children were invited to submit a design for a flag, which will be used to lead their district out on to the track at the Cumbria School Games’ opening ceremony.
Wenlock will be visiting a different school in each district to present the winning child with a prize and certificate and to hand over their flag.
It was the first time Amber Robinson, 11, had seen her design on canvas, which portrays Carlisle Castle surrounded by bright colours and inspirational words.
Runner-up Olivia Rakwicca was also commended by Wenlock.
Before the mascot was introduced to the schoolchildren, they were given a talk about the Cumbria School Games and Olympic values, as well as learning about the creation of Wenlock.
Nick Page, headteacher of Norman Street School, said: “It was fantastic. The children were very, very excited – some had their photo taken with him, and others got an autograph.”
Wenlock presented two flags, one for the games and one for the school to keep.
Mr Page added: “We don’t know yet where we will hang it, but I think it needs to be somewhere prominent in the school hall so everyone can see how well Amber has done.”
Wenlock went on to visit Yanwath School, in Penrith, Crosscrake Cof E Primary in Kendal and South Walney Junior in Barrow.
Today he will continue his relay in Whitehaven, before visiting Workington and Wigton.
First published at 11:28, Tuesday, 22 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Great flag Amber, well done.
Make your comment
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (8 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (15 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (5 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green