North Cumbrian store reopens after £1.7m revamp
Last updated at 12:15, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
A supermarket in Penrith will re-open today after a £1.7 million refurbishment.
Morrisons is the latest firm to announce a revamp – hot on the heels of Tesco Metro in Carlisle and the opening of a new Sainsbury’s store in the city.
Penrith Morrisons was shut yesterday to allow the transformation to take place.
The supermarket, in Brunswick Road, now stocks more than 450 lines of fresh fruit and vegetables. It also has ice beds and misting technology to optimise the freshness of the food.
The ‘fresh market concept’ also incorporates cured meat hanging continental-style above the deli counter, 150 cuts of meat in the butchery and cheese from the UK and around the world.
At the bakery there are 40 varieties of freshly baked bread.
William Roe, Morrisons Store of the Future director, said: “We are so excited to be opening a Store of the Future in Penrith.
“The new concept store has a fresh market feel with surprising produce and an exciting layout but still features the same great prices making it an affordable choice for existing and new customers.”
Tesco re-opened its Metro style store in Carlisle on Saturday after a revamp to remove asbestos.
The new-look supermarket has more checkouts and a hot pie counter.
Three hundred new jobs were created when Sainsbury’s opened a new supermarket in Caldewgate last month.
The spacious store, which has a cafe, a lift, wide aisles and sells a range of clothing and gifts, has revamped the area.
It also has a bakery, butcher’s and fishmonger’s.
First published at 11:32, Tuesday, 06 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)