New term at two Cumbrian primary schools delayed
Last updated at 11:42, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
Extensive building work at Caldew Lea Primary School in Carlisle has forced it to put back the first day of its new term.
Instead of starting tomorrow, the primary school will now reopen on Thursday after the summer break.
A note on the school’s website apologises for the inconvenience and states that home visits arranged for tomorrow will continue.
And a west Cumbrian primary school has had to postpone the start of term after building work hit problems.
St Bees Village School was due to reopen after the summer holidays tomorrow Wednesday, like the majority of the county’s schools.
But following delays with building work, headteacher John Wood has been forced to put it off until Monday.
The work – including a new roof and other improvements – has been ongoing throughout the summer break.
But in a statement, Mr Wood told parents it would not be ready for pupils tomorrow.
He said: “I am very sorry to have to tell you that, despite everyone's best efforts, school will not be fit to open on Wednesday as planned.
“The building work in school has not gone as smoothly as planned, with other issues arising which have needed to be dealt with. This difficult decision has been taken after consultation with the local authority together with health and safety.”
He went on to apologise to families for any childcare problems caused.
“I realise that this may cause you inconvenience and I apologise profusely for having to take this decision. Hopefully, by letting you know now, you can make alternative arrangements,” he added.
The school is now due to reopen for the autumn term on Monday at 9am.
- Kingmoor Infant School, in Hether Drive, Carlisle, will not open until Monday due to major extension work, including two new classrooms. However this is a planned delay, to allow staff to get the new building ready for pupils, and parents were informed well ahead of the end of last term.
First published at 08:30, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (76 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (54 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (101 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (101 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (23 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (61 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (5 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (7 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (12 comments)