Motorway near Carlisle closed after vehicle overturns
Last updated at 15:19, Monday, 21 January 2013
Police closed a stretch of the M6 motorway in north Cumbria after a Land Rover towing a trailer of bullocks overturned.
The incident happened northbound, just past Southwaite, at about 11.40am.
The route was closed until 2pm while emergency services and a vet attended the scene to assist with moving the four animals.
The Land Rover Discovery driver, a 63-year-old man from the Penrith area, had to be freed from his vehicle by firefighters.
He was treated at the scene by ambulance staff before being taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle, said police.
The bullocks were unhurt.
There were significant delays in the area.
Drivers were advised to either wait at Southwaite services or leave the motorway at junction 41 and travel on the A6 northbound.
First published at 12:28, Monday, 21 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)