Motorway near Carlisle closed after vehicle overturns
Last updated at 15:19, Monday, 21 January 2013
Police closed a stretch of the M6 motorway in north Cumbria after a Land Rover towing a trailer of bullocks overturned.
The incident happened northbound, just past Southwaite, at about 11.40am.
The route was closed until 2pm while emergency services and a vet attended the scene to assist with moving the four animals.
The Land Rover Discovery driver, a 63-year-old man from the Penrith area, had to be freed from his vehicle by firefighters.
He was treated at the scene by ambulance staff before being taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle, said police.
The bullocks were unhurt.
There were significant delays in the area.
Drivers were advised to either wait at Southwaite services or leave the motorway at junction 41 and travel on the A6 northbound.
First published at 12:28, Monday, 21 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)