Meet Cumbria's celebrity scarecrow
Last updated at 11:39, Monday, 10 February 2014
A friendly scarecrow who became an overnight hit with visitors at a historical house could soon be claiming celebrity status.
Fletch the Perchcrow, named by staff at Cockermouth’s Wordsworth House who say he couldn’t scare anything, is through to the final nine in a national blogging competition.
Fletch, who has been writing about his life living in the garden of William Wordsworth’s childhood home for more than 12 months, is the brainchild of two staff members at the popular house.
Alex Morgan, interpretation and communications manager, said she and her colleague, head gardener Amanda Thackeray, began to use Fletch to promote the house as it was a “fun way” to interact with the public. And since he was introduced, his popularity has gone from strength to strength.
Following a public vote, the stuffed scarecrow has reached the short-list in the UK Blog Awards 2014.
Alex said everyone involved with the house was “absolutely thrilled” and is urging the public to comment on his blogs to let the judges see just how popular he is.
Speaking about Fletch’s success, Alex said: “He was up against some pretty stiff competition, so his achievement is really impressive – especially for a perchcrow.
“He does get some help with typing from head gardener Amanda and from me, but the content is all his own.
“It’s now down to the judges to pick the winners, but we’re hoping lots of people will log on and start following him, post ‘likes’ and add comments over the next few weeks, so the judges can see just how popular he is. He already has followers in more than 50 countries around the world, but he’s always keen to have more!”
To read Fletch’s blog and show support, visit fletchtheperchcrow.wordpress.com.
First published at 11:34, Monday, 10 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)