Maryport rescue boathouse demolished after 148 years
Last updated at 13:52, Thursday, 02 May 2013
The old Maryport Inshore Rescue boathouse has finally been demolished.
Volunteers cleared the last of the belongings out of the site a week ago, but the diggers have finally moved in to knock down the old building, which was built in 1865.
The voluntary lifeboat group has been granted planning permission to build a £450,000 boathouse, which will include better facilities.
The new boathouse, part of a wider £1.2m investment in Maryport Harbour, will allow rescuers to deal with incidents quicker, buy new equipment and provide more floor space for storage.
It will contain the lifeboat, which is on all-year-round call for emergencies in the Solway Firth, and the equipment that was used in the 2009 Cockermouth floods.
Mike Messenger, the rescue service’s station manager, said that an important milestone had been reached in the development of the new boathouse.
“It is a great day for the MIRS to see work progress for our fit for purpose boathouse that will help us to do our life saving work,” he said.
He added that the work has been made possible thanks to the financial support from all those involved.
“It has been a real team effort and we now look forward to seeing the new boathouse take shape,” said Mr Messenger.
The new boathouse has been designed by the Cockermouth Green Design Group.
Cumbria County Council has provided, free of charge, two units at Maryport Business Centre so that the Inshore Rescue team can store its equipment while the new facility is built.
Building work is expected to be completed in the autumn.
Funding for the new boathouse and harbour investment has come from Britain’s Energy Coast, the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, Sellafield Ltd, Nuclear Management Partners and FLAG – Fisheries Local Action Group.
First published at 13:46, Thursday, 02 May 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)