Manager kicked in groin in Cumbria train attack
Last updated at 12:31, Friday, 01 August 2014
Police want to speak to group of men after trouble flared on a train and a manager was kicked in the groin.
The victim was assaulted after asking some men to leave a service running between Newcastle and Carlisle.
The assault happened at Brampton at about 8.40pm on Saturday, July 5.
PC Darren Rogers, of British Transport Police, said: “Two groups of men boarded the 7.25pm train at Newcastle. One group was particularly argumentative and was clearly trying to goad the other.
“The aggressive group were spoken to a number of times during the journey and were asked to calm down.
“When the train reached Brampton the train manager asked the rowdy men to leave the train as he believed they were becoming too aggressive.
“Two of the men tried to get back onto the train and, when the train manager stopped them doing so, one of the men kicked him to the groin.”
Police have released CCTV images of men they believe will have information about what happened.
PC Rogers added: “The train guard was carrying out his duties in the proper manner and was trying to protect other passengers by asking the men to leave the train.
“No-one should be subjected to abusive behaviour or violence and train staff should expect to be able to work in a safe environment.”
In a separate incident, at Newcastle prior to the men boarding the train, two groups of people were involved in a fight at Central station.
Police believe the men in the CCTV image will have information about what happened at Newcastle too.
Anyone with information should call 0800 405040 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 12:27, Friday, 01 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)