Tuesday, 01 December 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Man's death was not murder, say Cumbria police

The death of a man at the centre of a major inquiry is not being treated as murder.

The News & Star has learned the death of Andrew Paul Armstrong, of Egremont, is no longer under investigation by police – but detectives are still inquiring into an alleged attack on the 46-year-old.

Mr Armstrong, of Central Avenue, was taken to Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital after an incident in the street where he lived on March 30.

Two men, aged 57 and 17, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

They were later released on police bail.

Mr Armstrong died in hospital five days after being injured. The police investigation then continued.

Detectives said at the time the investigation was still being treated as attempted murder but that the situation might change in light of Mr Armstrong’s death.

Now though police have confirmed the death is not under investigation.

“However, investigations are still ongoing into allegations of assault,” a force spokeswoman added.

“The coroner is aware of the case.”

The allegations are of assault on the man who died, detectives confirmed.

Police said the two people originally in custody have been interviewed regarding the full circumstances of the incident. They are not currently on bail

Officers have not commented on a possible cause of death, saying it will be “determined by HM Coroner at the inquest”.

Police stressed on the day of the incident that, despite reports on social media, there were no firearms involved, nor was there any danger to the general public.


News & Star What's On search


Do you feel safe going to football matches?

1: Yes - there is hardly any trouble compared to the bad old days

2: No - sadly you will always get idiots who spoil if for rest

3: Depends - some clubs' fans are far worse than others

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: