Man's death was not murder, say Cumbria police
Last updated at 17:04, Tuesday, 20 May 2014
The death of a man at the centre of a major inquiry is not being treated as murder.
The News & Star has learned the death of Andrew Paul Armstrong, of Egremont, is no longer under investigation by police – but detectives are still inquiring into an alleged attack on the 46-year-old.
Mr Armstrong, of Central Avenue, was taken to Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital after an incident in the street where he lived on March 30.
Two men, aged 57 and 17, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
They were later released on police bail.
Mr Armstrong died in hospital five days after being injured. The police investigation then continued.
Detectives said at the time the investigation was still being treated as attempted murder but that the situation might change in light of Mr Armstrong’s death.
Now though police have confirmed the death is not under investigation.
“However, investigations are still ongoing into allegations of assault,” a force spokeswoman added.
“The coroner is aware of the case.”
The allegations are of assault on the man who died, detectives confirmed.
Police said the two people originally in custody have been interviewed regarding the full circumstances of the incident. They are not currently on bail
Officers have not commented on a possible cause of death, saying it will be “determined by HM Coroner at the inquest”.
Police stressed on the day of the incident that, despite reports on social media, there were no firearms involved, nor was there any danger to the general public.
First published at 17:01, Tuesday, 20 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)