Man in Carlisle court charged with 14 child sex offences
Last updated at 12:08, Wednesday, 29 January 2014
A man has appeared in court charged with 14 child sex offences dating back as far as 1987.
Joseph Benjamin Alcock, 42, is accused of six counts of indecently assaulting a girl under 14, five counts of gross indecency involving a girl under the age of 14 and one charge of raping a girl who was under the age of 16. It is unclear how many alleged victims the charges relate to.
The offences are alleged to have taken place between May 1, 1987 and May 22, 1990. All are alleged to have taken place in Cumbria.
Alcock’s address was given as Rolleston-on-Dove, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire. He appeared at Carlisle Magistrates’ Court yesterday where he spoke only to confirm his personal details.
The rape allegation is an indictable offence which can only be dealt with at crown court.
District judge Gerald Chalk sent the rape charge and the 13 associated sex allegations to the city’s crown court, where Alcock will appear on February 17.
He was released on bail, with the condition he does not attempt to contact the alleged victims.
First published at 12:07, Wednesday, 29 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)