Man had heart attack while diving in Lake District, inquest told
Published at 09:13, Thursday, 27 February 2014
An experienced diver suffered a heart attack while underwater in the Lake District, an inquest heard.
Carl Morris, 39, died in Wastwater on January 27 last year after getting into trouble at a depth of 164 feet.
Mr Morris, of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, was in the Lake District to complete a course and was part of an experienced group of four.
Dive leader John Timperley told the hearing he had held hands with Mr Morris as they began to ascend but they lost contact at 39ft.
He said Mr Morris would have dropped "like a stone".
The inquest was told Mr Morris, who was qualified to instructor level, did not have a valid medical certificate.
A post mortem found he died from a heart attack as a result of a blocked coronary artery.
The inquest was told Mr Morris was 6ft 1in tall, a heavy smoker and his weight fluctuated between 17 and 21 stones.
His body was found after a two-day search.
The inquest, held in Cockermouth, is expected to end today.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)