Man convicted of murdering Carlisle bar worker
Last updated at 14:34, Thursday, 19 June 2014
A young father has been found guilty of murdering his friend in a brutal knife attack that followed a furious row over drugs and money.
Jamie Armstrong, 21, claimed that 23-year-old Carlisle bar worker Luke Hollingsworth was killed by two masked intruders who burst into his friend’s home demanding drugs and cash.
Armstrong will serve a life-sentence in prison. The minimum term of that will be decided at a hearing tomorrow.
He showed no emotion as the verdict was announced by the jury forewoman, other than to shake his head as he was led from the dock.
Mr Hollingsworth’s girlfriend found his body in the blood splattered bathroom of his home in Etterby Lea Road, Stanwix, last year.
He had suffered catastrophic knife wounds to his back, eye and head.
Armstrong was lying on the floor nearby, and from the beginning he insisted the murder was the work of two masked, glove-wearing intruders he could not name.
But a jury today rejected his version of the tragedy, declaring him guilty of murder after deliberating their verdict at Carlisle Crown Court. They took two hours to reach their decision.
After hearing the verdict, Judge Paul Batty QC told Armstrong: "You are convicted by this jury on clear, unequivocal and overwhelming evidence.
"There is but one sentence the law can impose and that is one of life imprisonment
"As to the minimum term you will have to serve before even being considered eligible for parole I will hear submissions on that in the morning."
After the hearing, Isla Chilton, senior prosecutor with the Crown Prosecution Service north west, said: ”The jury have today seen through the elaborate, but ultimately implausible, series of lies that he [Armstrong] concocted to try to cover up his guilt and they have found him guilty of murder.
"Police investigators and I worked closely to piece together the many strands of evidence and to build the prosecution case that proved the only person who attacked and killed Luke Hollingsworth was Jamie Lee Armstrong."
First published at 13:05, Thursday, 19 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (55 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (47 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (109 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (18 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (13 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"