Man bit chunk out of schoolboy's nose, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 11:45, Monday, 20 January 2014
A court has heard how a 30-year-old man bit a chunk of flesh out of a teenage boy’s nose.
Jason Clay had earlier pleaded guilty to attacking the schoolboy, who has been left permanently scarred.
Prosecutor Pat Buckley told Carlisle Crown Court how the defendant had been at a house in Carlisle on September 21 last year, drinking and socialising with people he knew.
For no apparent reason, he had run into the room where the boy was, pushed him on to a sofa, sat on him, and then held him by the throat.
“He then bit his nose,” said Mr Buckley. “There was a piece of flesh missing.”
The defendant fled the scene but then later rang the police from a Carlisle pub, telling officers what he had done and where he was.
“He wanted the police to come and arrest him,” said the prosecutor. “He said he was sorry for what he had done.”
The defendant told police he had been upset for some reason by the teenager.
In his victim impact statement, the boy – who cannot be identified for legal reasons – spoke of being upset and angry after being attacked.
The nature of his injury had left him feeling self-conscious, and always “looking over his shoulder”.
Since the attack, the boy had felt “extremely nervous” about strangers and feared being assaulted again, said Mr Buckley.
Clay, whose address in court was given as King Street, Brynmawr, Wales, is likely to be sentenced when he is back before the court on January 31.
His defence lawyer Malcolm Dodds told Recorder Michael Hayton QC: “This defendant and I accept that the inevitable result will be immediate custody.
“It’s just a question of how long.”
Clay, who spoke only to confirm his name, has several previous convictions for violence. He entered a guilty plea to a single count of assault causing the boy actual bodily harm at an earlier hearing.
First published at 11:41, Monday, 20 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)