Main Cumbrian road closed after five vehicle smash
Last updated at 10:32, Tuesday, 13 November 2012
The A596 at Prospect near Aspatria was closed this morning after a dramatic smash involving five vehicles – three of which were gutted by fire.
It happened shortly after 6.30am at Moorside.
Residents described the dramatic scenes after a van hit a parked Reliant Robin which burst into flames.
The fire quickly spread to two other parked vehicles – a VW Passat and a Ford.
Jean Birkett, 46, described how the Reliant Robin, which belonged to her husband Colin, posed a safety risk to residents as the flames leapt 10ft into the air scorching guttering and the front of her neighbour’s house.
Her next door neighbour, Colin Rowe, quickly moved all of his belongings to the back of the house as the blaze intensified and the petrol tank of the Reliant exploded, showering houses with debris.
Colin’s wife Barbara said: “The flames were very high and there were things flying off the car and we were worried because there are quite a few older people living on this street.
“Our first thought was to get them out.”
Neighbour Dan Green, 23, whose VW was destroyed said: “It was terrible.”
His partner Louise Hillary said: “I suppose the main thing was that nobody was hurt.”
Several residents said accidents had become a regular feature of life in Moorside and they demanded action to improve the safety on the stretch of roads.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria police said: “Highways officials are at the scene of the crash this morning clearing away debris. A vehicle recovery firm has been called out to take the damaged cars away.”
First published at 09:47, Tuesday, 13 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)