Lib Dems keep city Tories in power
Published at 01:00, Monday, 28 June 2004
THE Conservatives remain in control of Carlisle City Council, thanks to the Liberal Democrats.
At today’s annual council meeting, Tory Mike Mitchelson was re-elected council leader despite Labour now being the largest party.
All Seven Liberal Democrat councillors voted for Mr Mitchelson, and in return the Conservatives elected Liberal Democrat Ralph Aldersey as mayor ahead of Labour’s Mary Styth.
The post of council leader is crucial as the leader picks the other members of the council’s ruling cabinet.
Mr Aldersey will be Carlisle’s 419th mayor. He has been a city councillor since 1983, has also served as a county councillor for 23 years and has unsuccessfully attempted to be elected as MP for Carlisle.
He said: “Today we’ve seen something new, something unique. We are seeing a break in the mould of one party claiming the mayorality for themselves.”
He paid tribute to his predecessor, Judith Pattinson, whose term of office ended today.
She has the distinction of being Carlisle’s longest serving mayor, as her term of office was extended to 13 months because of the European elections.
She also raised more money for charity than any of her predecessors, £24,000.
Fellow Conservative Sandra Fisher was elected deputy mayor and is likely to succeed councillor Aldersey as mayor next year.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years