Lib Dems keep city Tories in power
Published at 01:00, Monday, 28 June 2004
THE Conservatives remain in control of Carlisle City Council, thanks to the Liberal Democrats.
At today’s annual council meeting, Tory Mike Mitchelson was re-elected council leader despite Labour now being the largest party.
All Seven Liberal Democrat councillors voted for Mr Mitchelson, and in return the Conservatives elected Liberal Democrat Ralph Aldersey as mayor ahead of Labour’s Mary Styth.
The post of council leader is crucial as the leader picks the other members of the council’s ruling cabinet.
Mr Aldersey will be Carlisle’s 419th mayor. He has been a city councillor since 1983, has also served as a county councillor for 23 years and has unsuccessfully attempted to be elected as MP for Carlisle.
He said: “Today we’ve seen something new, something unique. We are seeing a break in the mould of one party claiming the mayorality for themselves.”
He paid tribute to his predecessor, Judith Pattinson, whose term of office ended today.
She has the distinction of being Carlisle’s longest serving mayor, as her term of office was extended to 13 months because of the European elections.
She also raised more money for charity than any of her predecessors, £24,000.
Fellow Conservative Sandra Fisher was elected deputy mayor and is likely to succeed councillor Aldersey as mayor next year.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (72 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (50 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (100 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (93 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (60 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (6 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|