Woman’s heart op prompts west Cumbrian fundraiser
Last updated at 10:50, Saturday, 08 February 2014
Whitehaven saw red as the town got involved in the British Heart Foundation’s Ramp Up The Red day.
Several events took place including a fun fundraiser at Dixon's department store, on Lowther Street, where staff had been inspired by the support the charity offered a colleague.
Kathleen France had heart surgery and benefited from the help of the BHF.
Sales advisor Kathleen said: “I had a mechanical valve fitted and the British Heart Foundation were fantastic. I had the choice between having a pig’s valve or a mechanical valve and, without them, I would never have had the choice.
“The pig’s valve would have had to be replaced after 10 years so it was a really important choice. They helped me through everything and, even now, they still offer support and I get their magazine which is where I found out about doing the event.”
Michelle McAvoy, fashion manager at Dixon's, explained: “All the staff bought T-shirts, there’s a raffle going round with some great prizes and British Heart Foundation provided us with a quiz which also raises money.
“It’s gone really well and with the Ramp Up The Red carrying on today too, we’re hoping we can raise a significant amount of money.
“Not only are we hoping to raise money for the cause but also raise awareness by wearing our T-shirts.”
They hope to raise several hundred pounds.
First published at 10:19, Saturday, 08 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|