Jude Law, Ewan McGregor linked to Cumbrian man's sub rescue film
Last updated at 15:36, Thursday, 29 August 2013
Hollywood A-listers are being linked with a film role to portray a courageous Cumbrian man in an action drama.
Former Royal Navy submariner Roger Chapman was aboard Pisces III, a 6ft deep-sea submersible which was trapped on the Atlantic Shelf for three days from August 29, 1973.
Mr Chapman, who was 28 at the time, was working on a contract to bury transoceanic telephone cables.
He was trapped alongside father-of-four Roger Mallinson 1,575ft beneath the waves 150-miles off the coast of Ireland before an 84-hour international rescue operation brought them back above the surface, as concerns mounted that their oxygen supplies would run out.
Mr Chapman, 68, has been in talks with Giant Films regarding the translation of his story to the cinema screen and A-listers Ewan McGregor and Jude Law are among the stars interested in recreating the story for the movie version.
He said: “It’s not my call but if Ewan McGregor is interested and wanted to go for playing me it would be nice. I think that this company want to stick to the story.”
After being rescued the pair were greeted by hundreds of people and Mr Chapman said he was “euphoric” on release.
Mr Chapman, who lives in Broughton-in-Furness said he was confident the story would not be overly revised like US-produced films such as U571 after a number of meetings with the potential film-makers.
He said: “It has been a long slog. A Canadian film company bought the rights to his book (No Time On Our Side) a few years ago and they were going for a big budget film but the rights expired last year.
“I think that Giant want to stick to the story – they’re UK based and we’ve met several times.
“I’m confident that something will happen.”
Mr Chapman is still involved in the submarine industry with James Fisher Defence, in Barrow.
First published at 15:33, Thursday, 29 August 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)