Prison warning for man who leaned through window and stole bag
Last updated at 09:03, Tuesday, 24 June 2014
A homeless man who leaned through an open window and stole a bag from inside a Carlisle flat has been warned to expect a long prison sentence.
The theft of the bag containing an unspecified amount of cash from the flat in Belgarth Court, Carlisle, was technically a burglary, so 51-year-old Ian Moorhead faces at least a three-year sentence since he had two previous convictions for burgling domestic properties.
At the city’s Crown Court, Moorhead, who has no fixed address, pleaded guilty to burglary and to stealing a £2.95 sandwich from the Spar shop in Newtown Road.
Both offences were committed on June 1.
Moorhead’s defence barrister told the court that he realised that, despite his “serious personal and psychiatric difficulties”, there would no alternative to a prison sentence.
“He is well aware that the court will only be able to consider a custodial sentence,” she said. “It is simply a matter of how long.”
Moorhead was remanded in custody for background reports.
He will be sentenced on August 1.
First published at 09:02, Tuesday, 24 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|