Help pours in for Cumbrian girl after mum’s tragic death
Last updated at 11:46, Saturday, 16 February 2013
A kind-hearted community has rallied round a two-year-old girl who tragically lost her mum by raising nearly £1,000 to support her.
Family and friends of 22-year-old Mica Atkinson, who died last November, say that the support from the public has been phenomenal since they launched a charity fund for her young daughter Lilly.
Carly Fletcher, the best friend of Mica’s mum Nicki, is spearheading the Beautiful Little Lilly’s Fund and has already organised a number of events.
But people living in Whitehaven, as well as nearby businesses, are also doing their own charity events to stack up the funds for Lilly.
And so far they have raised just under £1,000 for the fund which aims to support the young mum’s daughter and give her the best start in life.
Mrs Fletcher, from Mirehouse, said: “Lilly is doing well. Mica’s family are slowly coming to terms with their tragic loss, but life will never be the same for them.
“The support for Lilly has been tremendous and we are so grateful to people.”
Mrs Fletcher said that it is Lilly who is keeping Mica’s family and friends sane, as they try to come to terms with their devastating loss.
The first fundraiser Mrs Fletcher organised was a Christmas Fayre and since then people have carried out a string of events.
In April, Mrs Fletcher has organised a Ladies Night at Whitehaven’s Marchon Club. There will be an Anne Summers event, a disco, topless male waiters, a buffet and raffle.
Other planned events include car boot sales, fundraising days by United Utilities and D.Moffit builders.
For tickets to the Ladies Night, costing £10, contact Mrs Fletcher on email@example.com.
It takes place on Saturday, April 20.
- Miss Atkinson was found dead at her home in Wasdale Close, Whitehaven, on November 27 last year. A 25-year-old Whitehaven man, arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, has been bailed until April.
First published at 11:13, Saturday, 16 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)