Government releases cash for West Cumberland Hospital rebuild
Last updated at 16:04, Monday, 30 July 2012
Campaigners have welcomed news that the Government has finally agreed more than £70 million of funding for west Cumbria’s new hospital.
The money will be combined with £20m of local NHS cash to fund a major redevelopment at the current West Cumberland Hospital site in Hensingham, Whitehaven.
Demolition of some parts of the hospital has already been carried out and building had been scheduled to start earlier this month. But it stalled due to delays in securing final Treasury approval, prompting fears in the community about the project’s future.
But the North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Whitehaven and Carlisle hospitals, has now announced that the cash is finally being released.
The Rev John Bannister, of the Save Our Services hospital campaign group, said he was “relieved” by the news.
Full story in tomorrow's News & Star
First published at 16:03, Monday, 30 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Have your say
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (2 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (4 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (1 comment)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (7 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (73 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (5 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (31 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Prudhoe: Monkeying around lands brothers in hot water
- Prudhoe: Hundreds sign petition to reinstate 604 bus service
- Ovingham Bridge repairs are gathering pace
- Prudhoe: Woodland Trust opposes proposal
- Close House course gets ready to enjoy some senior moments
- Investment will have huge impact
- Police school calls will shock many
- Owners must scoop the poop
- Did your kids trash park?