Government releases cash for West Cumberland Hospital rebuild
Last updated at 16:04, Monday, 30 July 2012
Campaigners have welcomed news that the Government has finally agreed more than £70 million of funding for west Cumbria’s new hospital.
The money will be combined with £20m of local NHS cash to fund a major redevelopment at the current West Cumberland Hospital site in Hensingham, Whitehaven.
Demolition of some parts of the hospital has already been carried out and building had been scheduled to start earlier this month. But it stalled due to delays in securing final Treasury approval, prompting fears in the community about the project’s future.
But the North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Whitehaven and Carlisle hospitals, has now announced that the cash is finally being released.
The Rev John Bannister, of the Save Our Services hospital campaign group, said he was “relieved” by the news.
Full story in tomorrow's News & Star
First published at 16:03, Monday, 30 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)