X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 31 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Girl's family sues Cumbrian parish council over firework injury

A council is being sued after a six-year-old girl was injured by fireworks at a public display.

The girl, from Silloth, suffered leg injuries when a ‘rogue’ firework exploded, showering spectators with debris.

Two people’s clothing was burned during the display last November at the recreation ground at Fletchertown, near Wigton.

Claims for damage and injury have been lodged with Allhallows parish council’s insurers – Zurich – by those who were burned.

The youngster was treated at the community centre by a first responder before being taken to hospital.

Allhallows parish clerk Trevor Gear said: “It was an unfortunate accident caused by a defective firework. The claimants have claimed against us as the organisers and we’ve passed it onto our insurers to deal with.

“The firework display is an annual event organised by the parish council for children to go and enjoy a small display.”

The incident was reported to the Health and Safety Executive.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Boy bands, big bands, cover bands or tributes... how wide is your taste in music?

Anything apart from reality show winners

Still listening to older stuff. I find little new music to excite me

All music is a gift - I rule nothing out

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: