Firm set to resubmit service station revamp plans
Last updated at 13:05, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Work on a £1.5 milllion service station on the outskirts of Cockermouth could begin this year, which will create up to 60 jobs.
Euro Garages Ltd pulled its plans to revamp the Oakhurst filling station last year but vowed it was still interested in the development.
But a spokesman has this week told the News & Star that the Blackburn-based company is in discussions with Allerdale council and hopes to submit its new plans in the next few months.
“The company is in talks about what needs to go in the planing application and it will then be resubmitted,” he said.
“Euro Garages Ltd is still committed to redeveloping the site and will hopefully submit an application in the next few months, with development this year.”
When plans were first revealed last September, it caused outcry among other town traders and residents.
The chairman of Cockermouth Chamber of Trade, Jonty Chippendale, said it would take away business from the town centre, as well as the new-build having an impact on the “approach to the beautiful town”.
“A convenience store of this scale on the outskirts of town is detrimental to the town centre,” he said. “The existing shop on the site is more than adequate.”
The previous application wanted to see the existing “outdated sales kiosk” off the A66 roundabout demolished along with the forecourt, canopy and car wash.
It was to be replaced by a convenience store, Subway sandwich franchise and a drive-through Starbucks, as well as a fuel forecourt and cash machine.
Vacant land would be used to expand facilities, including the car yard which is behind the garage.
There would also be car parking spaces for 29 cars, compared to the three at the moment.
There are currently three people employed at the garage but the company said it hopes to create up to 60 permanent positions following the revamp.
First published at 12:59, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)