Firefighters spend hours tacking Cumbrian harbour grass blaze
Last updated at 13:00, Monday, 02 April 2012
Firefighters spent more than two hours tackling a large grass fire.
Crews were called to a bush blaze near Harrington harbour at about 1.30pm yesterday.
Two appliances from Workington attended, along with a wildfire specialist team from Silloth.
The blaze, estimated to have covered about 1,000 metres square of grass and gorse, was extinguished using a jet and beaters by 4pm.
The fire followed days of dry weather and another large-scale grass fire started on the Scottish side of the Solway Firth at Criffel, near Dumfries.
First published at 14:48, Sunday, 01 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years