Fifty Shades of Grey row ends in court as boyfriend takes 'saucy' revenge
Last updated at 11:33, Tuesday, 10 July 2012
A man whose girlfriend refused his demand that she should stop reading the cult erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey subjected her to a spicy revenge – by squirting brown sauce all over her face.
Raymond Hodgson, 31, was appalled to discover that his partner of five years, Emma McCormick, had been reading the racy book.
Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard how their tiff over the book escalated to the point where Hodgson, of Richardson Street, Denton Holme, decided take to his own saucy revenge.
In court, Hodgson pleaded guilty to a single charge of common assault.
Prosecutor Adrienne Harris said the couple had been in a relationship for four or five years, though both still live with their respective parents. They began arguing on June 25 after Miss McCormick began reading extracts from the best-selling novel by E L James, which is now the fastest selling book of this year.
Miss Harris said: “Mr Hodgson thought that the book was pornographic, and that she should not read such literature.
“The argument continued into the following day, with the two exchanging text messages.”
That conversation, which included some discussion of private family issues, left Hodgson feeling angry.
Mrs Harris said: “He went to her home [in Rockcliffe] at 7pm on June 26 and took with him a bottle of brown sauce.
“She answered the door and the argument continued.
“She went to close the door and he jammed his foot into the door, slapped her once in the face, and then squirted her with this bottle of sauce.”
When interviewed by the police, Hodgson said he felt Fifty Shades of Grey was a “distasteful” and “pornographic” book.
Miss Harris added: “He said he had every intention of squirting sauce over Miss McCormick, but he now regrets having done this, realising how stupid it sounds.
“He didn’t realise that the sauce incident would be classed as an assault. He is sorry for his actions.”
Malcolm Dodds, for Hodgson, said his client denies slapping Emma McCormick.
He named the book the couple fell out over – Fifty Shades of Grey – noting “there’s no such thing as bad publicity.”
Mr Dodds added: “He lost his temper – and went round to her home armed with a bottle of brown sauce, which he should never have done.
“Emma says it stung her eyes and it was all over the walls, which she had to clean up afterwards. I’ve spoken to Raymond and he’s extremely sorry about it.
“He was angry that she suggested he slapped her because he hadn’t. But they are now friends and they have been in touch with each other.”
Passing sentence, District Judge Gerald Chalk said Hodgson’s actions had clearly been intended to demean Miss McCormick. He ordered that he should pay his victim £100 compensation and £85 towards prosecution costs.
The judge also imposed a 6pm to 8am curfew for the next six weeks and a six-month community order. Asked about his views of the book after the case, Hodgson said he thought Fifty Shades of Grey was “wrong”.
First published at 11:31, Tuesday, 10 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|