Female burglar caught up ladder after breaking into Carlisle flat
Last updated at 11:38, Sunday, 20 January 2013
A woman burglar was caught at the top of a ladder after breaking into a flat, Carlisle Crown Court heard.
Maureen Samara Cuthbert, 22, had borrowed the ladder and used it to climb up to the window of the flat near her own in Highfield Avenue, Morton, Carlisle.
Knowing the flat was empty, she broke in using a crowbar, then stole blinds which she threw out of the window.
When police spotted her climbing back down the ladder she told them she had gone up the ladder after hearing a “smash” because she wanted to check that the occupants were all right.
And she maintained her story even after they told her they had found fresh crowbar and jemmy marks on the window frame.
She retrieved the blinds – and put them up in her own flat – after the police released her from custody.
It was only when interviewed by the police a second time that she admitted the truth.
Cuthbert, who was described in court as a “vulnerable and impressionable woman” pleaded guilty to burglary and theft.
She was put under probation supervision for 12 months.
First published at 11:37, Sunday, 20 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (63 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (50 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (99 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (91 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (59 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (4 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Barrow and Dalton among most desirable places to live - poll finds (19 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)