Female burglar caught up ladder after breaking into Carlisle flat
Last updated at 11:38, Sunday, 20 January 2013
A woman burglar was caught at the top of a ladder after breaking into a flat, Carlisle Crown Court heard.
Maureen Samara Cuthbert, 22, had borrowed the ladder and used it to climb up to the window of the flat near her own in Highfield Avenue, Morton, Carlisle.
Knowing the flat was empty, she broke in using a crowbar, then stole blinds which she threw out of the window.
When police spotted her climbing back down the ladder she told them she had gone up the ladder after hearing a “smash” because she wanted to check that the occupants were all right.
And she maintained her story even after they told her they had found fresh crowbar and jemmy marks on the window frame.
She retrieved the blinds – and put them up in her own flat – after the police released her from custody.
It was only when interviewed by the police a second time that she admitted the truth.
Cuthbert, who was described in court as a “vulnerable and impressionable woman” pleaded guilty to burglary and theft.
She was put under probation supervision for 12 months.
First published at 11:37, Sunday, 20 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (18 comments)
- Cumbria police must have redesign to survive (12 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (21 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (46 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (7 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (23 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (15 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|