Ex-bank in Carlisle can be turned into bar
Published at 11:08, Saturday, 21 June 2014
Drinkers in Carlisle are set to have a new venue for a local tipple.
The city council granted planning permission to transform a disused bank at 5 Devonshire Street, in the city centre, into a new bar.
The building – the former HFC Bank, next to Le Gall – will be converted by Penrith businessman Nigel Tarn, who will bring his Moo Bar concept to Carlisle.
He already has a bar on King Street in Penrith, which opened in 2012. It is situated in a former cattle house, hence the name Moo Bar.
It showcases draught real ales from Cumbrian micro-breweries – six are on hand pump at any one time – alongside more than 100 bottled beers from all over the world.
Mr Tarn applied for planning permission and listed building consent to convert the former bank.
Both were approved by unanimous vote by members of the committee at a meeting in the Civic Centre yesterday.
Officials had recommended this in a report presented to members.
Suzanne Osborne, the planning officer who compiled the document, said: “In overall terms the proposed use is appropriate for the site and will not have an adverse impact upon the historic character of the Grade-II listed building or its setting with Carlisle city centre conservation area.”
Mr Tarn was delighted with the decision.
He said: “The bar will be a cask ale haven for the city.”
He pointed out that every brewery in Cumbria will have its beer served at the venue.
He could not give an exact date as to when he expects the bar to open but hopes it will start serving customers this summer.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)