Wednesday, 25 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

'Drunken oaf' made threat to petrol bomb homes

A judge branded a thug a bullying drunken oaf after hearing how he threatened to petrol bomb houses and hurled abuse at onlookers.

Gary Walsh, 27, was also abusive to a woman – pushing a can of lager into her face – while on a night out.

Carlisle Crown Court heard that trouble flared in Workington, in November 2012.

Walsh, of The Ave, Broughton Moor, met a woman in a street near Grasmere Avenue and said he wanted to go home with her.

Elizabeth Muir, prosecuting, told the court: “When she told him she wasn’t interested he became abusive.”

He then told the woman he was going to the home of a friend of hers.

She went back to her house but was followed by Walsh.

When she arrived at her house she called the friend and woke up her son, who went into the garden to speak to Walsh, the court heard.

When he arrived, Walsh asked if the son wanted some cannabis, which he turned down.

“He then said ‘well, that’s another house I am going to petrol bomb’,” Miss Muir told the court.

Walsh then went to another house and knocked on the front door.

When the female resident opened the door, she saw Walsh standing on the doorstep, drinking a can of lager. He asked if he could use her phone and she told him that she did not have a phone.

“He then smashed the can of lager in her face,” said Miss Muir.

Walsh was then chased by the woman’s partner, who was dressed in his pyjamas.

Once he stopped chasing, Walsh turned around and walked back, stopping outside another home, where a woman had come to the front door to see what was going on.

He then lifted up a wheelie bin and tried to throw it at her.

“The defendant was in an extremely drunken state,” said Miss Muir.

Kim Whittlestone, defending, said Walsh had had long-term problems with alcohol and drugs. “He was in an extremely low place,” she said.

She also said Walsh had spent much of the last 18 months addressing these issues.

“He is an articulate young man when he is not under the influence of alcohol.”

The judge, Recorder Michael Hayton, described Walsh as a “drunken oaf”.

He also criticised Walsh’s behaviour, adding: “It was brash, it was bullying and it was cruel.”

Walsh was given a five-month prison sentence after admitting assault by beating.

He was also given a concurrent two-month sentence for threatening to damage property, a charge he also admitted. Both sentences were suspended for a year. He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, given a four-month curfew and ordered to pay £240 in costs and an £80 surcharge.


News & Star What's On search


What do you think of rail services in Cumbria?

Good. But there is always room for improvement

Not good: There needs to be much more investment

I rarely travel by rail

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: