Driver downed 10 pints before being found asleep on M6 hard shoulder
Published at 11:13, Saturday, 15 February 2014
A driver downed 10 pints in Penrith before heading back home to Carlisle.
Police found Richard Mark Askins, 45, asleep on the back seat of a Ford Focus on the hard shoulder of the slip road at junction 42 of the M6, city magistrates heard.
Prosecutor Diane Jackson said the front seat was wet and the key in the ignition, half turned.
Askins, who told police the seat was wet because it was raining outside, failed a roadside breath test.
He told them “you haven’t caught me driving” and was taken to the police station where he was found to 55mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath – 20mg over the limit.
Askins of Cumwhinton Road, Harraby, admitted drink-driving and told the court he had been in Penrith for a night out on February 2 and drank 10 pints of lager. He had intended to stay in Penrith but that wasn’t possible.
He told the court he couldn’t remember how he got to Carlisle, nor did he remember how slight damage to the bumper and wing of the car had happened.
He said he was very sorry and remorseful.
Askins was disqualified from driving for 15 months, and fined £330 with court costs of £85 and a £30 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|