Cumbrians fight for plain cigarette packs
Last updated at 13:05, Friday, 07 December 2012
Hundreds of Cumbrians have thrown their weight behind a push to ban glitzy cigarette packaging.
The Plain Packs Protect campaign has seen 766 of the county’s residents sign up to demand the end of glamorous-looking products aimed at young people.
The responses have been sent to the government to inform a consultation on whether plain, standardised tobacco packaging should be enforced throughout the UK.
The proposed law would also cover the cigarettes themselves, meaning an end to the slim fashion cigarettes which aim to appeal to young women. The results of the consultation, which ended in August, are expected early next year.
Rebecca Wagstaff, deputy director of public health for Cumbria said: “The response from the public in Cumbria has been excellent.
“Many of the people who have signed up don’t smoke, but once they see some of the packs that are currently on sale, they understand how they appeal to young people.
“The introduction of plain, standardised packaging would mean a victory for our children’s health and a defeat for the tobacco industry.”
First published at 12:14, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)