Cumbrian theatre waiting for revamp funding decisions
Last updated at 12:05, Thursday, 17 April 2014
Hopes are high that Rosehill Theatre’s £4.5 million revamp will go ahead this year.
The Whitehaven theatre is awaiting crucial funding decisions from Britain’s Energy Coast (BEC) and the Copeland Community Fund (CCF). Each of them pledged £1m in principle and they are considering whether to confirm their donations.
Theatre director Richard Elder said: “If we get positive decisions from BEC and CCF [on April 28 and June 11 respectively] – then it’s full steam ahead. We would close in the autumn and reopen in nine to 12 months.”
The money from BEC and CCF was first offered to Rosehill in 2012, but the theatre suffered a blow last summer when it was turned down for a £2m Arts Council England grant.
However, Mr Elder is confident that, with BEC’s and CCF’s funding, the shortfall can be bridged to allow the revamp of the theatre and barn to “create a new cultural centre for west Cumbria”.
“When we lost the Arts Council money, BEC and CCF could have walked away and taken their money with them – but they didn’t, for which we are enormously grateful.
"In fact, BEC put its money where its mouth is and gave us an initial £155,000 to progress our plans.”
First published at 12:03, Thursday, 17 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)