Cumbrian solicitor facing police fraud probe
Last updated at 16:58, Thursday, 25 July 2013
A solicitor specialising in medical negligence work has been arrested by police investigating fraud and false accounting.
Marcus Nickson, 60, was arrested by Cumbria police and released on bail until September.
A force spokeswoman said: “Police are investigating allegations of false accounting and fraud by misrepresentation which took place prior to January 2013.
“A man aged 60 from Wigton has been arrested in connection with these allegations and is on bail until September.”
Mr Nickson used to work for KJ Commons, which has offices in Carlisle and Workington. Its managing director, David Thompson, said the company was aware of the police inquiry and was “co-operating fully”.
Mr Nickson has declined to comment but is understood to be strongly denying any allegations of wrongdoing.
He has worked on high-profile Cumbrian cases including a £3 million payout for a young boy left with catastrophic brain damage after medics at the West Cumberland Hospital failed to spot he was being starved of oxygen. He also worked on the case of a man from Bigrigg left with kidney failure after he ate a contaminated burger on a luxury Egyptian holiday. He won £750,000 compensation.
A spokesman for the Solicitors Regulation Authority – the body which oversees solicitors – confirmed they had been contacted by Cumbria police.
First published at 16:56, Thursday, 25 July 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)