Cumbrian shop boss's wife chases off would-be burglar
Last updated at 11:51, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Raiders escaped with nothing for their trouble after to shops were the target in the early hours.
An attempted break-in was made at Pioneer Foods, on Church Road, Harrington, Workington at about 4.30am.
Malcolm Huddart, manager of the shop, said a man had tried to get through the metal shutters at the back of the store and then tried to chisel his way through the glass near the front door.
He said his wife had heard a noise and shouted at the man from the window above the shop and he then ran away.
The man was described as having a stocky build and was wearing dark clothing and a hat.
He made off towards the T-junction of Eller Bank and Church Road.
Beckstone Pantry, also on Church Road, Harrington, was broken into but nothing was stolen.
A spokeswoman at the store said the offenders had made a mess but had not caused any damage.
She added that they don’t keep cash on the premises. The incident was reported to the police at 8.15am yesterday.
Mr Huddart said attempted break-ins had been made about five or six times in the last two years.
A police spokeswoman said there was no indication the incidents were linked. Anyone with information can call police on 101.
First published at 11:39, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)