Cumbrian mum smacked son and called him a weirdo
Last updated at 12:08, Tuesday, 17 April 2012
A mother smacked her 11-year-old son and called him a weirdo after he couldn’t help look after his younger brother.
The woman hit him four or five times on his back and he phoned police to report an assault.
Carlisle magistrates’ court heard how the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, tried to lift his brother but was unable to. Defence solicitor Gail Heard said the mum admitted slapping her son because he had been “back-chatting and swearing at her.”
She questioned police at the time about whether she was allowed to hit her own child but now accepted her actions went ‘further than parental chastisement.’
The court was told the mother was under extreme stress at the time of the assault.
The woman, from Penrith, was given a one year community order after admitted assault or ill treatment of a child, likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 17 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)