Cumbrian mum jailed for child neglect
Last updated at 15:39, Tuesday, 05 August 2014
A mum has been jailed after leaving her two children home alone while she was drunk in the street.
The woman, in her thirties and from Penrith, was given a 16 week sentence after admitting child neglect.
North Cumbria Magistrates' Court in Carlisle heard that the woman was spotted in a street in the town in the early hours of June 28.
John Moran, prosecuting, said police were called. “They saw a female lying down on the pavement,” he told the court. “She was clearly heavily under the influence of alcohol.”
Police went round to the children’s home.
“Both of the children were asleep and appeared to be content and unharmed,” said Mr Moran.
The children’s father had left at 7pm to go to work.
“As far as he was concerned when he left she was sober and was fit to look after them,” said Mr Moran.
“The children were sleeping. The bedroom was immaculate.”
The court heard the woman, who cannot be named by law, had been in court for a similar offence a year ago.
Her defence solicitor, Nick Kennon, said there had been problems in her life and she had “foolishly had a glass of wine, which led to another”.
“There has been a change and this kind of behaviour would not occur again,” he added.
The woman admitted two charges of child neglect.
She received a 16 week sentence for each charge, to run concurrently.
First published at 15:37, Tuesday, 05 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (63 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (50 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (99 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (91 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (59 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (4 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles