Cumbrian mum jailed for child neglect
Last updated at 15:39, Tuesday, 05 August 2014
A mum has been jailed after leaving her two children home alone while she was drunk in the street.
The woman, in her thirties and from Penrith, was given a 16 week sentence after admitting child neglect.
North Cumbria Magistrates' Court in Carlisle heard that the woman was spotted in a street in the town in the early hours of June 28.
John Moran, prosecuting, said police were called. “They saw a female lying down on the pavement,” he told the court. “She was clearly heavily under the influence of alcohol.”
Police went round to the children’s home.
“Both of the children were asleep and appeared to be content and unharmed,” said Mr Moran.
The children’s father had left at 7pm to go to work.
“As far as he was concerned when he left she was sober and was fit to look after them,” said Mr Moran.
“The children were sleeping. The bedroom was immaculate.”
The court heard the woman, who cannot be named by law, had been in court for a similar offence a year ago.
Her defence solicitor, Nick Kennon, said there had been problems in her life and she had “foolishly had a glass of wine, which led to another”.
“There has been a change and this kind of behaviour would not occur again,” he added.
The woman admitted two charges of child neglect.
She received a 16 week sentence for each charge, to run concurrently.
First published at 15:37, Tuesday, 05 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)