Cumbrian mountain festival best in country
Last updated at 10:49, Tuesday, 13 May 2014
Kendal Mountain Festival has been hailed as the tourism event of the year in a prestigious national awards ceremony.
It was one of five Cumbrian winners at the VisitEngland awards ceremony at Cheltenham Racecourse last night.
The festival takes place in November and celebrates mountain culture with international films, lectures and art. It is said to be the largest event of its kind in Europe.
It won gold in the Tourism Event of the Year category. Cumbria’s other winners were The Water Mill Inn, at Windermere, which took silver in the Best Tourism Pub category.
Rothay Garden Hotel, at Grasmere, won bronze for Best Small Hotel and Walby Farm Park, near Carlisle, won bronze in the Large Visitor Attraction category.
Newlands Adventure, at Keswick, was highly commended in the Sustainable Tourism category.
First published at 10:48, Tuesday, 13 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)