X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian men save woman in kitchen fire drama

Two workers at a west Cumbrian construction firm have been hailed heroes after rescuing a pensioner from a kitchen blaze.

Keith and Glen Dacre photo
Keith and Glen Dacre

The 80-year-old said her family home could have gone up in smoke if it had not been for the quick thinking of Keith and Glen Dacre, who work at Stobbarts in Workington.

Bosses described them as “grand lads”, adding how proud they were.

Keith Dacre explained how he was in his son’s bedroom when he spotted smoke and flames in a kitchen opposite.

The 45-year-old health and safety manager who works with his 18-year-old son, Glen, immediately dialled 999.

He said: “I could see a pan was on fire and there was a lot of smoke in the kitchen.

“I helped my son Glen over the back wall and he got in the back door. I went in and it was full of really black smoke. I got a fire extinguisher and went back. It took me about three attempts to put it out.

“The lady came down after hearing the noise of the extinguisher and we got her outside.”

Mr Dacre added: “I think things could have been a lot worse if I hadn’t seen the smoke and it could have been a bigger fire, especially as the kitchen had a wooden ceiling.”

John Stobbart, executive operations director at Stobbarts, on the Derwent Howe industrial estate, said: “They are two grand lads, two decent blokes. We are very proud of them. They’ve done the right thing. I hope the lady in question makes a full recovery.”

The pensioner, who did not want to be named, said: “The phone rang and I got talking. I then heard someone shouting ‘Your kitchen is on fire’.

“I was very upset at the time. I only left it for a minute and it could have gone up.

“I can't thank them both enough. They are real heroes to me. I hate to think what would have happened to me if those chaps hadn’t been there.”

The fire happened in Dale Terrace, Dalton-in-Furness, in south Cumbria.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Is there ever a good reason for any authority to ban books?

No. All forms of dictated censorship are obscene

Yes. For reasons of taste and decency some should be restricted

Judgment on what's good - or bad - for us opens a slippery slope

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: